POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Real-time raytracing... : Re: Real-time raytracing... Server Time
7 Aug 2024 19:24:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Real-time raytracing...
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 3 Apr 2001 01:06:13
Message: <3ac95a45$1@news.povray.org>
In article <3ac74223@news.povray.org> , "Zeger Knaepen"
<zeg### [at] studentkuleuvenacbe> wrote:

> I was just looking at some of the real-time raytracing demos at
> http://www.acm.org/tog/resources/RTNews/demos/overview.htm and I was
> wondering: why can't POV-Ray be that fast?

It can.  You just have to remove the parsing stage for every frame.  You
can do this either by constructing objects manually in memory or by
parsing once and then manipulating the objects directly.  It is
possible, not too much work and you get a decent frame rate on an
average system.  However, you should reduce max trace level to two or
three.

Just be aware which options you have to turn off because they assume a
static scene and do break real-time manipulation of the scene if you
don't fix them on the fly, too.  For example the vista buffer or object
bounding.

      Thorsten